3 Armpit Odor Treatments that Stop the Stink!

by Jason on September 12, 2009

Go ahead…admit it. You’ve got excessive armpit odor.

Hey, I’m not pointing any fingers or making fun. I totally empathize with anyone’s armpit odor. The fact is it used to be a BIG problem of mine.

See, excessive sweating or “Hyperhidrosis” has a pretty broad spectrum with varying degrees and types of perspiration.

One specific variety of this disorder is called “Bromhidrosis” or excessive body odor. It’s more common than you might think.

I’m just going to take a moment to explain why excessive body odor occurs, and then I’ll give you the natural armpit odor treatments that will extinguish your smelly underarms for good.

What is Bromhidrosis?

Human secretory glands are divided into 2 primary types known as apocrine and eccrine glands. Eccrine glands are distributed over the entire skin surface and primarily are involved in thermoregulation through sweat excretion.

In contrast, apocrine glands have a limited distribution, involving the axilla (armpits), genital skin, and breasts. Apocrine glands have no thermoregulatory role but are responsible for characteristic pheromonic odor.

The apocrine glands basically have bacteria attracted and multipying on them before they release secretions through the skin. The bacteria, released with these secretions, excrete toxins which result in the offensive armpit odor.

The problem with Bromhidrosis is that it’s hard to battle with normal topicals such as prescription deodorants.

Afterall, deodorants are great for blocking the sweat pores, but how can you neutralize the offensive bacteria in your body that’s creating the odor?

the Answer…

The bacteria that forms on the overactive sweat glands must be neutralized using treatments that have high acidity levels. The treatments listed below do just that.

The Natural Treatments

I know it can feel embarrassing to admit you have smelly armpits but the fact is, facing up to it like you’re doing now is the only way to rectify the problem.

And believe me…

There are SO MANY ways to treat excessive or persistent armpit odor. Have no fear.

This article is going to give you to the treatments that will significantly decrease if not completely eliminate your armpit odor.

So, let’s get right to it and make your persistant armpit odor history.

Lime Juice

Believe it or not, a remedy as simple as Lime Juice yields fantastic results. It’s also incredibly easy to apply this treatment. Just divide a key lime (not so ripe) and then rub each half on your armpits.

If your underarm skin lightens a bit after a few days of this treatment, don’t worry. The citric acid may have this side effect. Let your underarms air dry afterwards. You really want the citric acid to soak into your underarm pores.

Also, beware that if you get the lime juice on your clothes, it can discolor them. That’s why it’s so important to let your arms airdry before you dress. Stay away from this armpit odor treatment if you have cuts or are prone to rashes from overdrying.

Alum

Alum is a very effective armpit odor treatment. Think of it as a concentrated, crystal form of deodorant (aluminum chloride). Along with taming armpit odor, it actually stops your armpits from getting sweaty in the first place.

Manufacturers have developed deodorants from alum but some swear that using the raw crystal form is just as good as the deodorants which are more expensive. You can pick Alum up at most pharmacies.

You can rub Alum crystal directly into your armpits after drying from a bath or shower. Just be careful when you apply Alum. Occasionaly it can have jagged edges and irritate the skin. Try to pick out smooth crystals at the pharmacy.

Vinegar

Applying Malt Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar on the armpits at night as part is another awesome armpit odor treatment.

Do this after drying off from a shower. Make sure to allow the vinegar to air dry. In the morning, you can apply your regular deodorant as you normally would.

Much like the lime treatment, the acidity in the vinegar will neutralize the bacteria that clings to your body’s Apocrine glands.

These three treatments work well – there’s no doubt. However, the ultimate armpit odor prevention simply revolves around sweating LESS.

Really, you no longer have to suffer from perspiration and smelly pits. The natural remedies mentioned above will certainly help you, but wouldn’t it be nice to not NEED to use them at all?

If your goal, through the tips on this website is to overcome your hyperhidrosis or bromhidrosis PERMANENTLY then there’s good news…

The “Stop Sweating & Start Living“, step-by-step program on the next page accomplishes just that. Try the program risk-free today and end your excessive armpit sweating for good.

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar Kellie January 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

I have struggled with body odor as far back as I can remember. I’ve spoken with my family physician, gyno and dermatologist about this problem but I was never given any advice that actually helped solve my problem. I showered daily, applied “natural” deodorants (ie Toms) several times a day, wore loose clothing made of natural fibers ( cotton) but I still would start to smell by mid-day…

I believe I have rubbed and applied everything imaginable under my arms to keep them from smelling but the ONLY thing I found to work is FRESH LIME JUICE. I bought a bag of organic limes, cut them into wedges and after each shower I dry my underarms completely then squeeze 1/2 of the juice out of the wedge and apply it under one arm then repeat on the other arm. I let the juice air dry then put on my clothes and I’m good to go ALL DAY!!!

It’s cheap, easy and super effective – give it LIME JUICE a try!

avatar kylie June 17, 2011 at 12:27 am

if i use the lime juice can or do i still use my deodorant??

avatar Jason June 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm

There’s no exact formula here. You kinda need to feel it out. It’s always best to start gentle and ramp up. Start with just the lime and add a moderate antiperspirant, scaling up to stronger ones as needed.

avatar Peter July 6, 2011 at 6:53 am

I have used pure Alcochol and it works too. No smelly armpits. But use it when your armpits are dry and not irritated usually in mornings provided you take your bath during night time.

avatar absgail July 10, 2011 at 1:34 am

do i need to apply baking soda after lime juice? Or could i just put lime juice with no baking soda

avatar underarm July 28, 2011 at 12:11 am

deodorant powder works as well.
I’ved used UARMSOL deodorant powder for years now. I used to have very funky smell, like cockroach smell, now no more. Even when I sweat I have no odours. The deodorant powder works even when you sweat, it’s amazing and I’m loving it. I can’t go out for a day without putting it on my unshaven armpits. yes, I don’t have to shave too, that’s a good thing.

avatar Tony August 14, 2011 at 6:25 am

My friend tried Vodka on his underarm. He had excessive armpit odor and i guess the following week, he didn’t smell like anything at all. Just because of that Vodka. I guess drunk men do amazing stuffs when they’re drunk.

avatar kristoff August 25, 2011 at 4:09 am

I was using a combination of Baking Soda and lime juice on my armpit and it works well..but i’m still using deo whenever i’m going to school because i have felt that my underarm odor may back again..but as i observed using deo make my armpit go back in the smelly odor..Tomorrow i will do a challenge i will just put the 2 combination to my armpit..I hope this won’t let me down!

avatar George September 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Well I never had terrible smell then suddenly did every day.

I thought it was an age thing but then, after reading this article and understanding the bacteria part, I think a different kind of bacteria resides on me now with a different type of smell than what I must have had before. maybe migrated from one pit to the other on the deodorant stick. anyway, I am going to try to use these remedies, maybe rubbing alco to rid this type of bacteria and maybe this smell will be gone for good.

I thought all my shirts were getting old and it was the shirts. burnt cotton kind of smell, but it must be a shift to a different smelling bacteria. any experts here think this is possible?

avatar patricia ramirez October 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

I got hair laser removal on my armpits and ever since my armpits STINK. I am going to try this LIME Remedy ASAP. I will report back, wish me luck

avatar Java222 October 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

I have the same problem ever since I got laser hair removal. I’ve tried deodorants, different soaps and the rubbing alcohol (very drying to skin). I’ll try the lime juice haven’t seen that remedy yet.

avatar Jason November 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

How is the lime juice tactic working for you?

avatar science7776 November 17, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I have tried it before, just apply few drops of lime juice right out of the bottle, and I am good for the day. No deos, perfumes, body sprays, save a lot of money on all that crap which even makes the pores smell worse over a long period of time. all you need to do is wipe the bacteria, either by acid or alcohol, that simple.

avatar Jason November 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Hey Science, so glad you found something effective. It’s great to hear about other people’s experiences using these treatments. Good Stuff!

avatar Tracey January 13, 2012 at 4:47 am

Seeing all these positive comments about using lime juice, I’ve decided I’m going to try it as soon as I can. I just want to ask whether using lime juice will cure B.O. once and for all. Is it a long term effect or do I have to apply daily?

avatar chona January 14, 2012 at 4:55 am

i;ve tried all this.. but no one works…. i’m so ashamed because i’m a well known person…. after a bath i’ts good, but after an hour.. so bad smell. i have an armpit and body odor… is it because i am a diabetec? thanks… god bless

avatar chona January 14, 2012 at 4:58 am

PLEASE HELP ME… DO I NEED TO VISIT A DOCTOR? last week i read from one mags, that it may for operation and painful operation… please help

avatar Veronica February 1, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I’ve had a problem with smell under my arms for awhile now, I’ve used every possible deodorant there is. They would work for awhile but eventually the smell would come back. I tried using lime juice and it really worked!! I just used some lime juice (from a bottle that they sell at any supermarket) on a cotton ball and rubbed it under my arms after I showered and it worked! It’s pretty amazing how something as simple as that did what all these clinical strength deodorants couldn’t.

avatar Liz February 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I used the lime and it worked for awhile but now it does not. It used to sting when I applied and as soon as the stinging stopped, so did the effect. Maybe I have to rotate between limes and lemons…

avatar Sue March 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I have the cure!!! I had the same issues. Started about four years ago. Tried everything. I shower everyday after work out, tried baby powder, baking soda, clinical strength deodorant… Nothing worked. I went to a Healthstore a month ago and after some chit chat… she asked to look at my tongue. Figured what was the harm. She then told me that I had a yeast/fungus infection and suggested Yeast/Fungal detox pills. After a few days I noticed that the ‘sour’ smell in my armpits were gone!!!! It’s been a month and it hasn’t came back yet.

Yeast/fungus lives off sugars/starches and I LOVE bread/pastas. It’s worth a shot, folks. Brand I use is Nature’s Sunshine. 90 pills for $19. Take 1 pill, 3 times a day with meals.

avatar Lost April 10, 2012 at 12:24 pm

SUE, this does need doctor prescription?
I think this is not avail here in the Phils.
How sure that’s the odor caused by a Yeast/fungus infection?
Also, does this means , avoid or lessen eating bread/pastas?